When running a business, it’s critical that you have a mission. What is the purpose of your company? What is the goal? Can you explain to someone in 30 seconds the mission of your company in easy to understand words? The key to any type of success is to have a plan of action. A mission statement can help you get one step closer to reaching your business goals.
The following is an excerpt from my newly released book Readi – Set Go! A Simple Guide to Establishing a Successful Small Business
The mission statement is an excellent resource to help business owners stay focused on the goals and objectives of the company. Here are the top reasons to have a mission statement:
- It helps with decision making. It’s easy to make decisions if a mission statement has been drafted. If a business opportunity does not assist with the goals of the company, it can be quickly rejected.
- It focuses on the company’s future. Mission statements can prevent a company from getting sidetracked by things that won’t help the company long term.
- It determines the company’s direction. Mission statements are the road map that all businesses must follow.
Mission statements are usually one page or less in length. There are no set guidelines, but there are a few key questions most mission statements will answer:
- What is the business of the organization?
- What type or level of service is provided?
- What are the core beliefs and values?
- What are the needs of its customers, and how will the company satisfy them?
By answering these questions, a person will have a clear and concise mission statement to refer to time and time again.
A mission statement is a plan of action. A person who fails to plan plans to fail. Click HERE to learn more about mission statements in our new book available on Amazon. Soldiers never go into battle without a mission. Are you prepared to perform the task at hand?